Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Loving Frank - Nancy Horan

My mom and sister received a scolding text message for not warning me I would cry in the last chapters of this wonderful and heartbreaking debut novel. So as I write this with swollen and red eyes at Midway airport I have mostly great things to say about this book.

The book takes an honest look at the role of women at the turn of the twentieth century. It is with a sense of relief and gratitude that the sacrifices and demands made by that generation such as the protagonist Mamah Borthwick made to ensure I and women everywhere would be evaluated and valued on our own contributions to society.

The author did a wonderful job of creating honest characters. Just as I was growing tired of one of the characters lamenting the situations they had made for themselves the character would also realize they were acting a little put upon.

They only detracting comment I can really say about this novel is that certain passages ran on and on and on. This may be part of a new author developing their craft but I found some pages largely unnecessary as Horan had done such a good job developing the characters already. 


I had absolutely no background in anything involving Frank Lloyd Wright aside from knowing where his homes are located and what the architecture generally looked like. This was such a pleasant and wonderful surprise. I can't recommend enough.

4/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment