Monday, November 2, 2020

The Last Wish - Andrzej Sapkowski

 


I love Geralt of Rivia. In my world of fictional boyfriends, he's basically roommates with Uhtred. He's a bit snarky, a bit cool, and yes I read this after watching the first season of the show and I can't quite get Henry Cavill's portrayal out of my brain. So there were some minor changes from the TV show that my brain had trouble overriding.

Essentially, in The Last Wish, a completely new world is created in which some children are taken and manipulated to have special learning and powers to deal with evil creatures that populate the world. But as the world turns away from fantasy and into an agrarian fiefdom somewhat like our own Earth's middle ages, the need for Witchers and sorcerers and magic at all is fading. It's an interesting look at a world on a precipice of losing those things that would make it a fantasy realm at all.

There's a big deal in the book about destiny and can we avoid it and how are we wrapped into it. In the TV show, Geralt seems to decry the idea, but in the book he's all in, which was a hard thing to reconcile. But in any case, the motivations of people, and how their choices affect the future, is a big theme in the story. Geralt tries to thread the needle by keeping his head down and doing his work, but his actions seem to entangle him further in the politics of the realm.

I'm looking forward to getting into the next installment of the series and ahead of the world I've already seen on TV. I'm going to be sticking with this one for a while.

5/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment