Monday, October 12, 2020

Sharpe's Tiger - Bernard Cornwell

So I finally figured out the Sharpe sequence and I'm going back to the beginning to see how Sharpe started. It feels kind of like cheating since early Sharpe fans had to go back and forth in his career rather than chronologically. I actually finished this almost two weeks ago so my fine detail recall is fading. What can I say? I'm a lazy reviewer this month. I just started taking classes for a new masters degree and I'm a little overwhelmed.


But anyway Sharpe. In Sharpe's Tiger, Sharpe's unit is taking part of the siege of Seringapatam, island citadel of the Tippoo of Mysore. And all of that was news to me. Having not grown up in the UK, all of this marching around the British soldiers did in India is NOT a surprise, but it is all relatively new information. I was trying to keep up.

In any case, a lowly private, Sharpe is considering deserting because his Sergeant, a vengeful, arrogant, disturbed man, Hakeswill, has it out for him. And his Captain, Morris, is lazy and also indifferent. All this over a woman who prefers Sharpe. After a wicked flogging, Sharpe is taken, mid-flog to see a general about a secret mission he will undertake with a fresh faced Lieutenant to rescue a Colonel who has been taken prisoner by the Tipoo.

It's a wonderful thing that Sharpe is clever and resourceful because he pulls off some pretty incredible last minute rescues and success. He also manages to teach the Lieutenant a thing or two about leadership that will better serve the entire unit, all while earning his sergeant stripes to boot. Was it so wrong of me to wish for Hakeswill's demise the entire book? He was a terrible person with no redeemable qualities.

I'm glad to have picked up another of Cornwell's series. He's such a good writer and I really have decided that I want to see how Sharpe continues to move up the ranks and into his field commission.

4/5 Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment