Monday, May 11, 2020

Stay Sexy & Don't Get Murdered - Karen Kilgariff & Georgia Hardstark

I enjoy podcasts although I prefer audiobooks so I don't stay up to date on many. I'm familiar with the My Favorite Murder podcast mostly through other readers I follow on the bookish side of Instagram - what those of us with book accounts like to call "Bookstagram" - although I'm not an avid listener myself. I find it hard to listen with any regularity to podcasts in general unless I'm commuting to work and I'm really in the mood. Part of it must be that there are just so many different pods to listen to. And if they update their content regularly, which is good for their avid listeners I guess? I just get overwhelmed by anything I've missed.

But when it comes to the who and why behind murder, especially serial murder, I'm intrigued. What makes people so depraved? Why do people do these things to others? Back when my husband and I were both still travelling for work (what I wouldn't give for a king size Hilton bed about now) and I had the time, I torched my way through Mindhunters and various other Netflix murderer shows.

I don't know what I was expecting from Stay Sexy and Don't Get Murdered. But a joint memoir about the podcast creators was not it. Not to say I didn't enjoy hearing about Karen and Georgia and their upbringings. They were very honest about their lives and their addictions - where they had succeeded and where they had gone wrong. Sometimes reading a memoir is interesting because you find out that people who have had some success also have some of the same underlying issues and insecurities as you. And that's helpful. I really liked reading the chapter on Fucking Politeness, because I definitely have had some trouble with that of my own and I want to make sure I don't pass down to my own daughter a bad and dangerous people pleasing habit.

So this was a decent book but I definitely was expecting more murder.

3/5 Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment