Wednesday, October 16, 2019

The Wise Man's Fear - Patrick Rothfuss

This book took me just over a month to read. Logistically, big books that aren't on a Kindle are hard to lug around sometimes. I made a lot of things in my purse become non-essential just to fit this 1,000 page behemoth into my bag. But alas, it was worth it.

I've really enjoyed the first two Kingkiller Chronicle's so far. Based on the blurb on the first book about Kvothe I know there is a lot more story to tell. I'm thankful that The Wise Man's Fear helped push the story along. I thought it dragged a bit at the beginning and I was worried I was about to spend another 1,000 pages of Kvothe's time at the University and his somewhat petty squabble with Ambrose. But thankfully, Kvothe decided to take a well earned sabbatical from the University to attempt to engage a patron.

He ends up stepping in it quite a bit, which is his usual, but we learn a little more about the Chandrian or The Seven as their called in Ademre, a taciturn warrior community of people who are known for their sword craft and mercenary skill. He also takes us to Severen where he falls into the service of the Maer, a rich noble with little restraint on his power. And, of course, we get to me Felurian, who's beauty has bewitched men unto death. But not Kvothe of course. It's always interesting to see how he will get out of things, but he always does, because he's very good at very many things. Which, can kind of get old sometimes, but then he usually makes a mistake and you realize he is very young and very foolish, despite his abilities.

I fear Rothfuss may be falling into the trap of being in love with his world to the extent that the books grow to an ungainly size and need to be split up and then the writing takes forever. But just as I know I'll wait as long as it takes to read Winds of Winter, I'm all in on the third book in this series. Whenever it gets around to being published.

4/5 Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment