Friday, September 27, 2019

Sometimes I Lie - Alice Feeney

Some parts of Sometimes I Lie I really enjoyed, and other parts fell very flat for me. It's a good sign that I was relatively certain through the first quarter of the book that Amber had multiple personality disorder or schizophrenia, but alas, Claire turned out to be a real person. (I was right about Jo though).

Anyway, this thing turns a bit at different spots and I don't want to say too much except to say that reading from the perspective of someone in a coma felt a bit contrived, but necessary for the structure that was set up and this was the element I liked least of all.

I'm fine with untrustworthy narrators, and as those things go, Amber was very very untrustworthy. But that makes the reading fun, but also sometimes confusing. It took a while to figure out who was doing what and why. I was even pretty pleased with Madeline Frost's comeuppance until it got real dark.

People who are really into these "psychological thrillers" will probably enjoy this book more than I did. But it was entertaining and kept me guessing quite a bit, even if the end didn't really make sense and mucked things up.

3.5/5 Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment