Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Allegiant - Veronica Roth

Just. What? This story took an even worse turn but the masochist in me had to read it to see how it ended. 

What I hated: the premise. Genetic damage? Ugh the convoluted way people had to care about this required mental gymnastics. 

The dialogue. Why am I still reading these weird, awkward and misplaced exchanges which are the equivalent of "aw shucks" between the teenage characters?

The characters. They all suck. Or at least they are annoying. And there seems to be no difference between the narrative voices of Tris or Tobias. They are written the exact same way. 

There's a "twist" to the book that fans of the series are pretty upset about. But for me that was the books only redeeming quality. And it's funny to call it a twist when it's basically the plot point of every chapter of Game of Thrones.

So that one star? That's for me. For finishing this one. 

It will bother me if I don't also mention the lack of continuity in the book as well. How does Tobias have a photograph of his family in his house, the Erudite read textbooks all the time, but no one has heard of a freaking airplane? The Wright brothers could figure it out, and photography was around even before those two crazy brothers attached wings to a bicycle. I'm pretty sure photography technology is equally as complicated. But no, no, let's just have photographs of people in our homes. 

1/5 Stars.




No comments:

Post a Comment