Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Me - Elton John

I can't stress enough that I'm already a big Elton John fan. I love singer songwriters in general. Have always been a lyrics geek. I saw Elton John in concert with Billy Joel either in the late 90s or early 2000s. I can't recall but I loved every second of it. They put on a hell of a show.

But as much as I've loved Elton John's music, I didn't know much about him personally. I knew he was British and I knew he was gay, but his childhood and upbringing were a total mystery to me.

So I just loved Me. It's so open and honest and direct and funny. Elton doesn't take himself too seriously and is very open with his trials and failures. His childhood is sad and informed a lot of his personality and choices later in life, but he's open about how he's made the best of things and moved on. I loved hearing about his musical connections. His various meetings with Bob Dylan, his friendship with Ringo Starr and John Lennon. His visits with the Queen Mum.

And I love how he embraces being able to change. There's something refreshing about people who are recovered addicts being able to embrace change and betterment. When he got sober, he realized he wasn't using his fame, money and influence enough and started an AIDS foundation that has raised $450M.

He's entirely delightful. I would thoroughly enjoy spending a day with him and his Canadian husband. I just loved reading about his journey. I finished the book and then stayed up until midnight watching Rocketman, which he mentions in the book and is just a delightful movie. I loved Taron Egerton's rendition of I'm Still Standing in the Sing movie. It was great to see him sing it again as himself and not a gorilla.

5/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment