Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Your Best Stride: How to Optimize Your Natural Running Form to Run Easier, Farther, and Faster--With Fewer Injuries - Jonathan Beverly

I loved the practical approach to improving form in this fast and informative book. Jonathan Beverly lays out the main areas of form weakness and gives concrete exercises and routines to improve those areas.

I've been a sometimes runner since I joined the cross country team my senior year of high school in order to try to stay in shape. It's been a thing I do for myself and it gives me joy, but almost two years ago I developed a case of plantar fasciitis that I could not beat. It kept my running sidelined for 18 months and after PT, massage therapy, dry needling and everything in between, I'm finally back to running. As I try to recondition myself, it's really important to me that I don't get injured again.

But I also appreciate that the book doesn't proclaim one exact right way to do anything. Everything is based on general principles of strength and flexibility which aid in running form. But every body is unique and so too is the stride generated from that body.

I've been putting some of the techniques into practice over the last week and I'm hopeful I'll run injury free into the future.

4/5 Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment