Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Untamed - Glennon Doyle

Sometimes you read something that is like a shot of adrenaline into your veins and you can feel the light and the knowledge pressing up against your skin from the inside. That is what reading Untamed does. There were so many moments while reading this book that I placed my finger into the page, took a deep breath and just felt the truth of Glennon's words wash over me.

I'm not quite as sensitive as Glennon, but over time I've learned the same lessons about what the world expected of me as a woman. To be quiet. To take up as little space as possible. I've stayed quiet about things even when I knew the right answer. I'm a Enneagram 9 so I felt all of this book.

A lot of my remaining quiet or reserved was undone by a pretty marvelous high school experience surrounded by intelligent and independent women. And I'm lucky to have seen what living authentically can look like. Can I ask for more? Demand what I think I deserve? Not now.. not worth ruffling the feathers I used to think. And then I read: "Maybe in a different life. Isn't that interesting? As if I had more than one?"

As if I had more than one.

I don't. This is it. This one beautiful life that is mine for doing within whatever I think most fulfills it. Isn't that just selfishness my old self asks? Aren't you cloaking selfishness in some kind of higher philosophy? No. Because I've made other people's feelings my touch trees for too long. And when I do that I do everyone a disservice. So me and myself, we are till death do us part. And that's the tea.

5/5 Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment