Thursday, June 20, 2019

Bad Feminist - Roxane Gay

Before picking up Bad Feminist, I had seen Roxane Gay in a few TV interviews in passing. She's always struck me as a thoughtful analyst of issues. But now I know something else. She's FUNNY! This book was funny. There's an entire essay devoted to how awful the 50 Shades series is and it's hilarious. 

Part memoir, part op-ed type essays, Bad Feminist describes one woman's navigation of the complex world of feminism and all the trappings that go along with trying, or avoiding, declaring oneself as such. 

I'm was also reminded throughout this book why it is so important to make sure one is exposed to a variety of voices and narratives outside the echo chamber we create for ourselves within and without social media. Many more years ago than I realized had passed, I read The Help with my book club and attended an author talk about the book in Chicago. I remember being vaguely uncomfortable at the use of dialect in the book, written by a white woman, about black women in the Civil Rights Era South. But, for lots of reasons, I didn't recognize the very basis of the book as problematic. And then, overtime, I came to realize the deeply flawed foundation of the book. And Roxane Gay laid it all out in an essay on the topic in this book.

She also dove deep into her Scrabble talent. I didn't realize, but probably should have, that there were such things as competitive Scrabble tournaments. 

There were deeply heartbreaking stories mixed into the story that give a glimpse of the author and her early life's journey. Overall it was a very enjoyable 11 hours to spend in someone's company.

4/5 Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment