Thursday, May 11, 2017

Two Paths: America Divided or United - John Kasich

I was excited to vote for John Kasich in Tennessee's primary in 2016. By then it was mostly clear that Donald Trump had built a momentum which was tipping toward winning. But I'd heard Kasich's message in fits and starts during the debates and tuned into to Facebook Live feeds of his town halls. 

The reason he ended up getting my support is well flushed out in this book. A reiteration of his refusal to "take the low road to the highest office." And his insistence that nothing gets accomplished without buy in from both sides - a factor I think was crushed by GOP leadership (McConnell) during Obama's eight years as president - was something I've always thought about politics. Even politics in Washington. 

As new media sources have become more and more partisan (even delving into outright lies) it seems impossible to have rational discourse these days. And the problem seems to have gotten worse over the general election and now through the first months of Donald Trump's presidency. But these pages, this book reiterates what we already know. It doesn't have to be this way. Nuance and open mindedness take effort and time. But isn't our country worth it? 

I know after the general election I took a hard look at where I was receiving my news sources and tried to take an extra second to let my initial reaction to news headlines become tempered by a second or third run through to see if the meat of the article really jibed with the headline. You'd be surprised (or maybe not surprised) to learn that a lot of times it doesn't. 

I was struck by Kasich's recounting of a townhall where a gentleman asked Kasich what he intended to do to fix the opioid epidemic, and Kasich turned that right back and asked the man what he was doing to fix it. It's an honest question. On November 8, I had a tear filled conversation with a good friend about how I clearly wasn't doing enough to make my world, heck my neighborhood, into the place I wanted to live. 

While sometimes, most of the time, I live at the base level described by Kasich in this book, in those moments where I go higher I try to keep my November 8 lessons in mind. What am I doing to make my community better? And that usually involves putting down the smart phone and really trying to connect with people, even to smile and say hello, thank you and please. Connecting to people, just like Kasich did on the campaign trail. 


Thanks John Kasich for such a thoughtful analysis and a good example.

4/5 Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment