Monday, January 23, 2017

All I Did Was Ask - Terry Gross

This review is all my fault. I saw All I did was Ask was $1.99 on the Kindle store and I bought it without thinking. I love Fresh Air. I love the interviews and the questions. I love Terry Gross. So I bought the book without looking at the description. 

What I was expecting - Terry's life story, kind of like Bossy Pants, but less funny (because - Tina Fey). With probably anecdotes of interviews or favorite excerpts. 

What the book is - excerpts. All excerpts, with maybe a couple lines detailing her own thoughts on the interaction. 

So, this review is my fault. I didn't realize what I was getting myself into. And I was disappointed. Because as much as I love listening to the interviews on the show, I don't really want to read them in a book. There's a lot of the flavor that is missing in just reading the interviews - things that make the audio so compelling. 

So I had high hopes for this book that were partly my own fault for not reading the description better, and then partly because these interviews are meant for radio and they're presented here in text, and something about it just doesn't work.

2.5/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment