Monday, August 15, 2016

It Was Me All Along: A Memoir - Andie Mitchell

I'm not usually one for blog to book memoirs, and I'd never heard of Andie Mitchell prior to getting this book on a kindle deal, but I was pleasantly surprised with the book and Andie's writing. That's not to say it's elevated prose, but the narrative is clear and conversational and I can see how it would work well for a blog. 

To me, blog writer memoirs come off a little too self-important - this may have something to do with the blog world revolving around self promotion - but in this case, Andie balanced this well with her own personal story. The story fit just on the surface of her feelings; the dark parts never got too dark, and the light parts were all social media ready. 

I did enjoy Andie's journey to being comfortable with food and her own personal story of weight loss and self-acceptance. The thing I liked was that she was comfortable saying that it was still her, after all the changes. She was still herself, the same person with the same insecurities, but she'd been able to work through them. This was a process that took work and was not an overnight revelation. 

I'll be checking out her site (click here to visit) to get some new food ideas. I'm hoping her move to Seattle hasn't irrevocably hipster'd her food recommendations (see my review of a previous hipstery food book here) and is still making things you can make at home with two toddlers running around demanding to be picked up or alternatively crying because one has hit the other. 

The book was just the right length to avoid some measure of self-importance and overall a pleasant read.

3.5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment