Monday, February 22, 2016

One for the Money - Janet Evanovich

This was an entertaining book that was a good selection for running. It was easy to listen to and follow. It was funny and engaging. I think I'll be listening to more of these as I go forward into my latest half-marathon training. 

I had already read #8.5 and I think #15 in this series. So I'm familiar with the setup but it was nice to see where it began. The whole series follows Stephanie Plum, a bounty hunter in Trenton, NJ. (Everything is legal in NJ). She was a discount lingerie buyer but was laid off and the only job she could find was working as a "recovery agent" for her sleazy cousin, a bondsman. 

So Stephanie decides for her first gig, she'll go after a big score. A bond worth $10,000. It just happens to be a high school love interest, Joseph Morelli. Morelli has been accused of murder after responding to a distress call from an informant. Morelli claims he shot in self defense, but as no gun was found on the dead man, Morelli is kind of out of luck.

As Stephanie fumbles her way along to capturing Morelli, she begins to believe in his innocence. Even if she does still want to collect her bounty. In her search for Morelli, she encounters some unsavory characters, including the psychopath boxer, Benito Ramirez. Ramirez ends up being sexually sadistic and develops a grudge against Stephanie when she turns him down. He is actually pretty terrifying, for what is for the most part, a light hearted romp through the bounty hunter world. Even when someone gets blown up in this book, it's done slightly tongue in cheek. The character proclaims, "Fuck God" right before he's blown up. Whoops.

People who are fans of the alphabet series will like this one as well even if Kinsey Millhone (catch my Q is for Quarry review here) and Stephanie Plum don't have much in common.

I'd probably want to give this one 4 stars since I was so entertained, but it was kind of consumable literature and I don't want to feel bad. So, 3.5/5 stars?

No comments:

Post a Comment