Monday, January 18, 2016

Modern Romance - Aziz Ansari

Whoops. This is an example of where going to a bookstore and flipping the book over to read a description is effective. Instead, since I love Aziz Ansari as a comic and I saw that the book was highly rated, and recommended to me by Goodreads after I finished and loved, Bossy Pants by Tina Fey (read my review here), I used my Audible credit to purchase this book.

I thought it was going to be about Aziz Ansari. I thought it was going to be funny. That's all I thought it was going to be. Whoops.

Modern Romance is co-authored by Ansari and a sociologist. And true to its title, it chronicles and examines romance in the modern age. How does technology (social media, smart phones, dating apps) effect dating today? And how does that manifest in the US and other parts of the world?

The book is really pretty good, even though I've been married for almost a decade and none of the subject matter even applies to me anymore. But Ansari is hilarious and a perfect foil for all the technical scientific and and study-related data. I found the section on modern romance in Tokyo especially entertaining.

I'm giving the book four stars because it was well written, researched, and presented. I just wasn't that interested in the subject matter at this point in my life. But that's my own fault for just assuming the book was something it wasn't.
 

4/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment