Monday, September 7, 2015

Finding Fraser - K.C. Dyer

This was a fun book turned on a goofy premise. The story follows Emma, a 29 year old woman who is (understandably) a bit obsessed with one James Alexander Malcolm Mackenzie Fraser of the Outlander series (and now TV show - seriously, look up Sam Heughan and I dare you not to drool, see below and you're welcome). Emma, having had no luck in love or life is in need of a serious life shake up and decides to sell all her worldly possessions and head to Scotland to find her very own Jamie.

Since Emma has very little money and a vast lack of world experience, surprising given her living in Chicago (see I'm totally biased, I think people from Chicago have to have the world travel thing figured out), she is going to do the trip on the cheap. Emma came across as a bit naive throughout the story, although she does have enough self awareness to admit to this after the fact.

I would be more annoyed with Emma's "need to find a man to complete myself and save me" attitude if she didn't vocalize the fact that women needed to be stronger characters in their own story. In the end, this is what Emma becomes, a stronger protagonist in her own story. I like the backdrop of using the Outlander books as a foothold for the blog turned novel concept, which is not actually a blog turned novel.


The book is fun and entertaining and a good summer read. I listened to this one on audible though and I have to say the narrator's accents were a bit forced and stereotypical. Let's just say one of the commenters on Emma's blog is Japanese and well.......the butchered English in the fake accent and what I can assume is the attempt at English as a Second Language syntax are a tad on the offensive side.

I love that Diana Gabaldon was pleased with this Outlander inspired work, since I've read before that she dreads and disapproves of fan-fiction. This isn't fan fiction in the strictest sense, so if Herself gives it a pass, all to the better.

This book was a solid 3/5 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment