Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Only Time Will Tell (Clifton Chronicles) - Jeffrey Archer

So this meandering tale follows Harry Clifton as he grows from boyhood into an adult. The story shifts between various narrators including Harry's mother Maisie, Harry's best friend Giles, Old Jack Tar and a couple others which would be giving away plot points to mention. Through the various characters different lines of the truth are exposed and it's interesting to learn certain facts when the perspective changes. 

There are a couple things about the writing that I was not a big fan of. Each narrative shift encompasses a few chapters. The first chapter after the shift is written in the first person. The remaining chapters after a shift are written in The third person. I'm not sure what Archer is doing here. It's just distracting. 

The second issue I have with this novel is that although it seems to be well placed in historical events, the author might have not looked in to American history as well as he should have. For one there is a scene at the end with a character being read his Miranda rights. In 1939. Miranda v. Arizona didn't happen until 1966 so that's a little lazy. 

Otherwise I found the story entertaining even if it's not the most eloquent writing I've read. I'll read the rest of the series I'm sure but I'm not going to be reading them back to back. 

3/5 Stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment